Spider veins are small dilated blood vessels that appear as thin blue, purple or twisted red lines on the skin’s surface or mucous membranes. It looks like a spider web or tree branches, with which it is termed as spider veins.
Generally, spider veins occur due to damaged or weak valves in the vein and it affects most commonly on the legs, hands and face (cheeks, nose, and chin).
Hormonal changes, age, genetics, prolonged period of standing or sitting, wearing tight clothes, overweight, constipation, certain medications, stress, blood clots, overexposure to sun’s harmful UV rays, etc. are some other triggers causing spider veins.
However there are usually harmless but in certain cases, it causes pain, swelling, throbbing rashes, itching around the affected area and restless legs. If not treated properly, it results in varicose veins or skin ulcers.
Before using over the counter medications or creams, just give a trail to natural home remedies to get rid of the problem.
Home Remedies for Spider Veins:
Listed below are the best natural remedies that reduce the appearance of spider veins, improves circulation and prevent the problem effectively.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) improves blood circulation and thus reduces the swelling and pain caused by spider veins on the skin.
- Soak a piece of clean cloth in a bowl filled with raw and organic apple cider vinegar.
- Take out the cloth and wring it to remove the excess vinegar.
- Place it on the affected areas and wait for 15 – 30 minutes.
- After that, remove the cloth and repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or drinking a glass of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and a little of honey to enhance proper blood circulation and to get rid of the problem.
Method – 2: (Ginger)
Ginger helps to break up the buildup of a blood protein called fibrin in the areas where the veins are injured and makes the veins less visible. It also lowers the blood pressure and helps for proper blood circulation to get rid of veins.
- Cut 1 – inch piece of finely washed fresh ginger root into thin slices.
- Pour these slices in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Simmer it over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add enough honey to it.
- Stir well and drink this ginger tea to get rid of spider veins.
- Continue drinking ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily till you cleared the spider veins.
- Or simply chew ginger slices, include ginger in diet, have ginger ale, etc. to get relief from the problem.
- If you’re taking any blood pressure medications or blood thinners then consult your doctor before using ginger.
Method – 3: (Horse Chestnut)
This herb strengthens the veins and reduces the discomforts caused by spider veins with its excellent anti-swelling and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been proved that usage of horse chestnut or its extract will give relief from mild – moderate venous insufficiency.
- Add 1 tablespoon of horse chestnut tincture in 10 tablespoons of distilled witch hazel.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the affected area.
- Leave it on for few minutes and reapply it for twice daily till you get rid of spider veins.
- Or apply horse chestnut seed gel topically on the spider veins affected areas for twice daily.
- Also, take proper dosage of horse chestnut supplements by consulting your doctor.
- Avoid using horse chestnut if you’re pregnant or nursing women or taking blood thinning medications or suffering from kidney or liver diseases.